Monday, May 08, 2006

mania

1. Clothes
I'm becoming seriously obsessed with my outfit for the wedding. Unfortunately the different components have disappeared from the Banana Republic website, so I can't link to them, but if you recall, the main item is the yellow dress. And then I bought this delicate silver and gold necklace to go with it, which I also can't find a picture for, but it has a thin gold vermeil circle at the center that is etched in a funny mazelike pattern, and the gold chain has tiny silver beads along it. God, I'm horrible at describing clothes. I don't usually approve of mixed-metals, but in this case it was quite pretty. Then I got these shoes: (link closed in attempt to fix blog weirdness)
to go with it, except in dark brown, which look much better in person than they do in this picture. I thought I could wear my small gold hoops and my silver tiffany bracelet, and it would all be fine.

Except then today I got up and decided to wear dangly earrings, which I haven't done in months. And then I remembered why dangly earrings are like, the best things ever. So now I have to rethink the whole outfit in terms of dangly earrings. There are a number of good prospects on the anthropologie website, but seriously, $170? They have to be kidding.

I'm also worried about the color of my toenail polish. And eyeshadow. I think I should go with more of a gold tone, rather than green, for the eyeshadow. . . unless browns would be better? Maybe browns with gold. I haven't even started to discuss my previous visions for this outfit, which first was yellow and green, and then yellow and brown with my Steve Madden peep-toe wedges. Those had to be vetoed because I realized my feet would be full of blisters before I'd even gotten to the ceremony. And I also haven't brought up the purse, which ideally would be soft brown Italian leather, except that my purse-vision would also cost $200+, so I"m setting for this crazy brown thing covered with enormous beaded lilies that I found in a little store in downtown Edmonds, which is kind of hideous but I also kind of adore. But that makes me rethink the whole outfit, which I had constructed along the lines of clean brown-and-gold elegance, and I'm now wondering if the jewelry needs to be a little larger and beaded, instead of only metals.


2. Books.
Book that I should be reading as I am halfway through: Kingdom of Fear, by Hunter S. Thompson.
Book that I am actually reading: The Undomestic Goddess, by Sophie Kinsella.
Additional Books that I have read while I should have been reading the first book: The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.
Previous book that I should have been reading but have now finally finished: The Beautiful and Damned, by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Intervening books that I read instead: Meet the Austins and The Moon by Night, by Madeleine L'Engle, and Bachelor Boys, by Kate Saunders.
And finally, book that I REALLY should be reading, started about six months ago and will probably have to be started again from the beginning: Middlemarch, by George Eliot.

I'm not really much of a serious literature person, am I. And I finally have to admit it--those books by Dan Brown are pretty darn good.


3. Blog.
I think I've adjusted the comments option so that those of you who don't have blogger accounts can still post. Give it a shot, somebody, so I can see if it works.


4. Mother's Day.
THIS SUNDAY! What to do, what to do!!!

3 comments:

Marie said...

I love you. I am laughing so much right now. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I approve of the yellow dress, and will be at Stanford May 12-18!

Hispanicus said...

hi

Anonymous said...

Ooh, hey, I can log on anonymously! You even said that in your post - apparently I don't have very good reading comprehension. Or maybe I was just too shaken by your wrongness.