Tuesday, April 18, 2006

pebbles and motorways

Sometimes Dan picks up on my moods frighteningly well. I bought the Saint Etienne album Tiger Bay (thank you, you know who you are, for introducing me to Saint Etienne, I now absolutely adore their music), and I had developed a particular fondness for "Like a Motorway" over the last day or so, which probably reflects my generally dismal mood. (Who could be that cheery when having a compulsion to listen to a song that goes "she saiid her life/ was like a motorway/ dull, gray, and long" ?) But anyway, I drove him to work this morning because he has class, and he picks up my Tiger Bay cd, says, "I bet you like Like a Motorway, don't you. I bet it's your favorite song." Of course I glared at him, and he played it.

I just looked up the lyrics, and I'm disappointed because I found out that one line of it goes, "he said her skin smelled just like petals," and I had honestly thought she said "PEBBLES." I really liked the idea of her skin smelling like pebbles. I guess now that I think of it it sounds kind of unlikely.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Oh God. You know, you weren't the only one who both cherished the song and thought it was “pebbles” all along. Thanks for sharing. (I'll get over it. Eventually.)

Emily said...

i like pebbles too.