Wednesday, August 05, 2009

iTunes

I assume other people also check out their iTunes Top 25 Most Played on occasion to see what, apparently, their favorite songs are? There are a few that are always up there, though they shift around a little. I thought I'd share mine, along with who led me to the music. I'm curious--do my readers know these songs? I kind of have no idea how this fits in with what other people listen to. Also, given this information, what should I tell people when they ask what kind of music I like?

These are the top 10, in order.


1) "True Affection," The Blow
Credits to: Elizabeth
I don't know quite how this made it to #1--I think I just add it to a lot of playlists and so it plays through a lot; I rarely actively "go after" it to hear it, but it's always welcome, you know? The video, btw, REALLY creepy.

2) "Mistress," Inara George
Credits to: Frank
This song encompasses more of my love life than I'd like it to. Or at least the angsty bits. I really like the part about her hair; it's just very sad but resigned? I often feel compelled to cut off my hair when I'm sad, and there is something about wanting the person who has hurt you to finalize that pain in a concrete way. This is going to go too far into my psychology if I talk about it more.

3) "Little Bit," Lykke Li
Credits to: Bill
Just LOVE. And how I feel all the time, about all sorts of people. And LOVE Lykke Li, though will eternally regret my mishap at her concert. I need to see her again--actually is it tonight she's in LA??

4) "You Turned My Head Around," Dean & Britta
Credits to: Bill
Dunno Bill, I hear you've dedicated this one to people other than me, but it seems I like it anyway ;-). And you took me to my second concert ever!

5) "Ceremony," New Order
Credits to: Dan
Again, LOVE. Just the first chords make my heart feel lighter. I have no idea what they're saying in half of it.

6) "Archipelago," Mirah
Credits to: Anthropologie
Makes me think of Phedre and the pirates :-D.

7) "Gone Under Sea," Electrelane
Credits to: Dan
Another like "True Affection"--not explicitly a "favorite song," but always fits nicely, so I suppose, again, have added it to a lot of playlists.

8) "Love Song," Lindsay West
Credits to: Dan
This is from an artist on a podcast by Tom (?) Ravenscroft, John Peel's son, which I downloaded from its website. She doesn't have any albums or really presence at all, as far as I can tell, but I love the three songs I have.

9) "Poker Face," Lady Gaga
Credits to: Sally
I am so embarrassed this is in my top 10. CURSE YOU, 39B! I know I listen to it a lot, but it's definitely 39B that tipped it over the edge, every time I read a paper about it I had to listen to it five times to get it out of my head. I can't believe it even beat out Shakira to get on this list.

10) "Meaningless," Magnetic Fields
Credits to: Jason
Yes Yes Yes, it was totally meaningless. I knew it.

No comments: