Sunday, December 04, 2005

I like Marie's habit of listing her current obsessions, so I think I'm going to do a bit of that today:

Current Obsessions (preoccupations?):

The Smiths
Gatorade
PG Tips
Gray (in clothing)
My $30 puffy 'fur'-trimmed hood coat from Costco
Keira Knightley
Stuffed penguins
Warm, snuggly shoes, sweaters, mittens, i.e. EVERYTHING
Sun chips
The Facebook
My new reorganized closet
Cucumber
Villanelles


On another topic, i've been researching the Faculty at the various grad schools where I am going to apply, and I am noticing, rather politically in-correctly, that 1) Almost all black faculty do African-American literature; 2) White people rarely do African-American literature; 3) Almost all people with funny sounding non-European names do Post-Colonial literature. I mean, right, this hardly comes as a surprise, but I find it interesting that 1) these areas aren't more diverse; and 2) As a white American I'm kind of afraid to ever make any kind of comment on either area of literature, which may be the case with a lot of other young white literary scholars, which may be why we all end up doing like, modernism (guys) or Romantics and Jane Austen (girls). Post-colonial, especially, can be a really delicate area to comment on, to my experience. I suppose, however, it's also currently more innovative, which may mean it's a smart place to be right now. Anyway. I overgeneralize.


No comments: