Friday, September 30, 2005

the sea, the sea

It seems that Jason and Karen Sarah have gone away for the weekend, and Dan is ensconced in the Psych Department with his dissertation proposal, so it is rather quiet in Partridge this evening. I find it disconcerting when roommates disappear for the weekend without letting one know, but at the same time it's kind of a relief, because it means guaranteed sleep at night without two loud male roommates exuberantly playing video games.

I have nearly finished reading Iris Murdoch's The Sea, The Sea, and I bring you a quotation:

Some kinds of obsession, of which being in love is one, paralyse the ordinary free-wheeling of the mind, its natural open interested curious mode of being, which is sometimes persuasively defined as rationality. I was sane enough to know that I was in a state of total obsession and that I could only think, over and over again, certain agonizing thoughts, could only run continually along the same rat-paths of fantasy and intent. But I was not sane enough to interrupt this mechanical movement or even desire to do so. . .

No comments: